New year, new color! Instead of brownies, let’s bake up some blondies today. I am one lucky gal, I must say. I received the Beekman Heirloom Dessert Cookbook for Christmas and could hardly wait to dig into it and get it allllll covered in flour and sugar and vanilla. The first recipe I took a shot at is the “Blondies With White Chocolate and Macadamias”. I modified the recipe ever so slightly, topping the bars with some flaked coconut. The result- an exquisitely warm aroma filling my entire apartment. Mmmm mmmm mmm.
These bars boast a large a mount of toasted, salted macadamia nuts as well as some rich white chocolate chips for a sweet&salty contrast. The sugar component is solely brown sugar, for superior warmth. Finally, I topped them with some flaked coconut which browned nicely for a caramelized addition to the bar.
Makes one 9×13 inch pan of bars- you can cut them as large or as small as you’d like!
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1&1/2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
2 eggs, at room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted and salted
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/3 cup sweetened, flaked coconut for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper and spray sides with cooking spray
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, blend softened butter and brown sugar together
- Stir in vanilla
- Blend in eggs, one at a time
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture until completely combined
- Fold in white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts
- Pour batter into prepared dish, using spatula to make the top smooth
- Sprinkle coconut on top until evenly covered
- Bake bars for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean (if coconut is getting too toasted before bars are done, you can place a piece of aluminum foil on top of them)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before slicing